The Central Electrical Plant (CEP) is a 5,000 sq. ft. one story Type VCMU building with a 6,000 sq. ft. generator yard. The CEP consist of offices, maintenance shop, communication rooms, two 1000kw generators with sound enclosures and expansion capability for a third generator all feeding4000A paralleling switchgear and five automatic Transfer Switches. A 20,000 gal underground fuel tank and two 500 gal day-tanks provide more than 72 hours of fuel capacity for the facility to remain operational during a major disaster event.
The new CEP provides emergency power to the existing 335,000 sq. ft. hospital with a redundancy for the three-branch emergency electrical system. The CEP project challenged the teams ingenuity to seamlessly integrate feeder lines routed over 1000 linear feet and seamlessly integrate into two eight-story towers.